READING BUZZ: The Symbols Cuisine Gallery. 8:20pm.
It was the Purple Silver Open Mic session. WE had our discussion forum and continued with our readings/performances.
We had six performances – largely, okay, all poetry. The first shot was from Kenneth Apine, received with some criticism. Next was Ode Attah with ‘Inner Peace‘, a beautifully written poem that didn’t have a performance to match. Samuel Ikyobo read ‘Irony’ a poem that balanced irony and paradox in the same seat. Lots of people agreed that the poem might have been better if they had copies to go through… We put that in our thoughts (sound system) … Anselm Ngutsav read ‘Red Wine‘ a poem that praises red wine and red lips. The applause was much, especially from the ladies 😉 … Ene Adama performed ‘Hand made god’ in true Spoken Word form – from her head. Her hat gave her a look of a magician with words flowing from deep within…
The last poem was from Jennifer Jasmine Yahaya who read ‘African woman’, a woman of great pride and great breasts feeding lions. She started by craving our understanding as she was performing for the first time. Hmm. We expected the worst but she was really nice. The feeling I had was of Chimamanda Adichie and Toni Morrison in some strange combination. It seems I wasn’t the only one affected as there was a general ENCORE cry. She performed beyond par.
A few questions were asked on inspiration, themes and the like.
Announcements: Well, first and foremost, SEVHAGE in collaboration with the Writers’ League is bringing award winning poet, writer and deep critic, Prof. Musa Idris Okpanachi to Makurdi on Wednesday for a reading at the Benue State University, Makurdi. The main book to be read is his great new book, From the margins of Paradise. Time is set for 4pm and the tentative venue is the ALGON Hall.
Anselm (Purple Silver’s Coordinator) announced that book donations were sought in order to enlarge the library of the Orphanage home. A few other announcements and yup, it was time to call it a day. We thanked everyone for coming, invited them for our next reading on Saturday 1st June, 2013 and took our leave…
It had been some long evening but well, it was definitely worth it. More, please…
- LITERARY BUZZ: PURPLE SILVER OPEN MIC SESSION (25th May, 2013): DISCUSSION (sueddie.wordpress.com)
- Open Mic – Literary Fun (at the Abuja Literary Society) (sueddie.wordpress.com)
- The Man Who Forgot He Wrote a Book (writerunrepeat.com)
- Say the word: London’s performance poetry scene (onefinestay.com)
- A Carver carved (irishtimes.com)
- Ali -An Open Mic Champ (chiefkeesh.com)
- Pam Brown’s Home by Dark (shawjonathan.wordpress.com)
- Literary Londoner: William Wordsworth (onefinestay.com)
- Cross My Soul (A Poem) By Leah Sewuese Anyo (sueddie.wordpress.com)
- From Rap Poets to Playwrights – Middlesex’s 15th Annual Literary Festival (mdx.ac.uk)