ANA/ATIKU ABUBAKAR PRIZE for children’s literature with eight entrie; already published children’s books.
The physical quality of the published titles is also commendable. Together, there were (24) Twenty Four titles in all the categories of four. The categories are as follows: ANA/FUNTIME for children’s fiction with six entries.
ANA/MAZARIYYA PRIZE for teen authors (poetry) with one entry. This particular prize the Judges considered to strike it out because of insufficient entries.
At the end of the day, the following winners emerged in all the categories with the exception of ANA/MAZARIYYA PRIZE as already mentioned because of insufficient entries.
ANA/ATIKU ABUBAKAR PRIZE FOR CHILDREN’S LITERATURE
1. Preye and the Sea of Plastics by Fatima Akilu, and Mayowa and the Masquerade by Lola Shoneyin were joint winners for the first prize.
2. Eno’s story by Ayodele olufintude
ANA/FUNTIME FOR CHILDREN (PROSE)
1. Jide Meets a Ghost by Spencer Okoroafor (Winner)
2. The Lunar princess by Nnenna Ihebom
3. Akin’s Assignment by K. C Selman
ANA/LANTERN BOOKS PRIZE FOR CHILDREN’S FICTION
1. Chijike by Chinyere Obi-Obasi (Winner)
2. The Great Fall by Chinyere Obi-Obasi
3. The Blind’s Daughter by Ayo Kolapo
No shortlist because of insufficient entries, so there is no winner for the prize.
In all, the entries were lively written, interesting with good illustrations for children’s reading, except one or two of poor quality. It is highly commendable and wish future workshops should be organized for children’ Authors better improvement.
We thank the National Executives and members of ANA across the country. Long live ANA! Long live Nigeria and God Bless – Amen –
John Asiedu Sarpong
JUDGES: Dr. E. E. Sule of the University of Abuja as the Chairman, Poet John Asiedu Sarpong of Kaduna, and Professor Virginia Dike of the University of Nigeria, Nsukka.
ANA is Association of Nigerian Authors